Investing before the All-Clear
COO of Blackstone Tactical Opportunities, Chairperson of BXPE
Economic Regime Change in 2024
- We anticipated cooling inflation and resilient growth, and we believe we have positioned ourselves to take advantage of a more active M&A environment where we can utilize the variety of advantages we believe we have to help us source and execute attractive investment opportunities across our diverse platform.
- These opportunities can include high-quality public companies trading below inherent value and private equity-owned companies looking for liquidity. We plan to lean in and invest in great businesses at attractive prices before the proverbial “all-clear” sign — all the while focusing on Blackstone’s high conviction themes, such as the energy transition, generative AI, life sciences, travel and leisure, and the digital revolution.
Global Head of Private Equity
Corporate Private Equity: Trusted Relationships Help
- We believe we have been able to capitalize on public-market dislocation recently, particularly through corporate carveouts and public-to-private transactions.3
- Our long-standing, trusted relationships with larger companies helps us source transactions directly with management, which we believe can result in better terms and valuations in comparison to competitive bidding.
Global Head of Tactical Opportunities
Tactical Opportunities: Flexible Solutions Provider
- Today, we believe the demand for capital outstrips supply, fueling the need for solutions-oriented, hybrid capital to help companies, sponsors, entrepreneurs, and families achieve specific goals and/or fuel continued growth.
- We believe the ability to flexibly invest across the broad space between private equity and private credit, combined with our deep asset-class and sector expertise, allows us to adapt our focus to favorable market dynamics to help extract the best risk-adjusted return.
Global Head of Blackstone Strategic Partners
Secondaries: Providing Liquidity to an Illiquid Asset Class
- Last year marked the second-largest level of transaction volume for secondaries, reaching $114B.4 Amid slowing exit activity and decreased distributions, we believe investors and sponsors turned to the secondary market for bespoke liquidity solutions.
- We believe this trend is accelerating in 2024, due to the confluence of growing private market AUM, a more diverse global investor base, expanding addressable markets, and sponsors seeking to access portfolio company liquidity.
Global Head of Life Sciences
Life Sciences: Innovation Drives Demand for Capital
- We believe innovation in the life sciences industry is accelerating, along with the costs of development. The supply of R&D capital falls far short of demand —a $172 billion annual funding gap by our estimation.5
- At the same time, large pharmaceutical and medtech companies need to replenish a $340 billion revenue loss by 2030 due to patent expirations and Medicare pricing pressures,6 requiring an expansive investment in R&D. We believe these trends present opportunities for investing in more capital-intensive but less risky late stages of development.
Global Head of Blackstone Growth
Growth: Value-Added Partner to Help Create Winners
- We expect to see a more active deal environment in 2024. As the market stabilizes, we believe quality companies will look to capitalize on weakened competition through M&A and other expansion initiatives.
- We believe entrepreneurs recognize the value of support from a hands-on partner like Blackstone, with its global scale, expansive operational resources, and deep network of relationships that can help companies pursue transformational growth and minimize execution risk associated with fast-growing environments.2,7
- Private Equity International, as of March 2023, based on capital raised.
- Subject to Blackstone’s policies and procedures regarding information walls and the management of conflicts of interest.
- These examples may not be representative of all investments and it should not be assumed that Blackstone will make comparable investments in the future.
- Evercore, FY 2023 Secondary Market Survey Results, January 2024.
- The annual funding gap is Blackstone Life Sciences’ estimate of the gap between the annual spread between the demand for medicine and device development capital and the supply of development capital from Biopharma and MedTech companies through R&D budgets. Data sources are Evaluate Pharma and Blackstone Proprietary Data. January 2024.
- Refers to $240B in loss of exclusivity. Blackstone Proprietary Data. January 2024. ~$100B in loss of revenue due to price negotiations. McKinsey, The Inflation Reduction Act: Here’s what’s in it. October 24, 2022. A Blackstone investment in any portfolio company is no guarantee of future commercial opportunities for such company, and none of Blackstone funds, or their affiliates makes any representation or warranty regarding such opportunities for any portfolio company.
Important Disclosure Information
This webpage (together with any related materials or links, the “Materials”) does not constitute an offer to sell, or a solicitation of an offer to buy, any security or instrument, or a solicitation of interest in any Blackstone vehicle, account or strategy. If any such offer is made, it will only be by means of an offering memorandum or prospectus, which would contain material information including certain risks of investing including, but not limited to, loss of all or a significant portion of the investment due to leveraging, short-selling, or other speculative practices, lack of liquidity and volatility of returns. Nothing herein constitutes investment advice or recommendations and should not be relied upon as a basis for making an investment decision.
Past performance does not predict future returns. There can be no assurance that any Blackstone fund or investment will achieve its objectives or avoid substantial losses. Any investment involves a high degree of risk and you may not get back the amount originally invested.
Alternative investments often are speculative, typically have higher fees than traditional investments, often include a high degree of risk and are appropriate only for eligible, long-term investors who are willing to forgo liquidity and put capital at risk for an indefinite period of time. They may be highly illiquid and can engage in leverage and other speculative practices that may increase volatility and risk of loss.
Blackstone Proprietary Data. Certain information and data provided herein is based on Blackstone proprietary knowledge and data. Portfolio companies may provide proprietary market data to Blackstone, including about local market supply and demand conditions, current market rents and operating expenses, capital expenditures, and valuations for multiple assets. Such proprietary market data is used by Blackstone to evaluate market trends as well as to underwrite potential and existing investments. While Blackstone currently believes that such information is reliable for purposes used herein, it is subject to change, and reflects Blackstone’s opinion as to whether the amount, nature and quality of the data is sufficient for the applicable conclusion, and no representations are made as to the accuracy or completeness thereof.
ERISA Fiduciary Disclosure. The foregoing information has not been provided in a fiduciary capacity under ERISA, and it is not intended to be, and should not be considered as, impartial investment advice.
Estimates / Targets. Any estimates, targets, forecasts, or similar predictions or returns set forth herein are based on assumptions and assessments made by Blackstone that it considers reasonable under the circumstances as of the date hereof. They are necessarily speculative, hypothetical, and inherently uncertain in nature, and it can be expected that some or all of the assumptions underlying such estimates, targets, forecasts, or similar predictions or returns contained herein will not materialize and/or that actual events and consequences thereof will vary materially from the assumptions upon which such estimates, targets, forecasts, or similar predictions or returns have been based. Among the assumptions to be made by Blackstone in performing its analysis are (i) the amount and frequency of current income from an investment, (ii) the holding period length, (iii) EBITDA growth and cost savings over time, (iv) the manner and timing of sale, (v) exit multiples reflecting long-term averages for the relevant asset type, (vi) customer growth and other business initiatives, (vii) availability of financing, (viii) potential investment opportunities Blackstone is currently or has recently reviewed and (ix) overall macroeconomic conditions such as GDP growth, unemployment and interest rate levels. Inclusion of estimates, targets, forecasts, or similar predictions or returns herein should not be regarded as a representation or guarantee regarding the reliability, accuracy or completeness of such information, and neither Blackstone is under any obligation to revise such returns after the date provided to reflect the occurrence of future events, even in the event that any or all of the assumptions underlying such returns are later shown to be incorrect.
Recent Market Events Risk. Local, regional, or global events such as war (e.g., Russia/Ukraine), acts of terrorism, public health issues like pandemics or epidemics (e.g., COVID-19), recessions, or other economic, political and global macro factors and events could lead to a substantial economic downturn or recession in the U.S. and global economies and have a significant impact on a fund and its investments. The recovery from such downturns is uncertain and may last for an extended period of time or result in significant volatility, and many of the risks discussed herein associated with an investment in a fund may be increased.
Opinions. Opinions expressed reflect the current opinions of Blackstone as of the date appearing in the Materials only and are based on Blackstone’s opinions of the current market environment, which is subject to change. Certain information contained in the materials discusses general market activity, industry or sector trends, or other broad-based economic, market or political conditions and should not be construed as research or investment advice. Further, opinions expressed herein may differ from the opinions expressed by a Dealer and/or other businesses / affiliates of a Dealer. This is not a “research report” as defined by FINRA Rule 2241 or a “debt research report” as defined by FINRA Rule 2242 and was not prepared by the Research Departments of a Dealer or its affiliates.
Forward-Looking Statements. Certain information contained in the Materials constitutes “forward-looking statements,” which can be identified by the use of forward-looking terminology or the negatives thereof. These may include financial estimates and their underlying assumptions, statements about plans, objectives and expectations with respect to future operations, and statements regarding future performance. Such forward‐looking statements are inherently uncertain and there are or may be important factors that could cause actual outcomes or results to differ materially from those indicated in such statements. Blackstone believes these factors include but are not limited to those described under the section entitled “Risk Factors” in its Annual Report on Form 10‐K for the most recent fiscal year ended December 31 of that year, and any such updated factors included in its periodic filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission, which are accessible on the SEC’s website at www.sec.gov. These factors should not be construed as exhaustive and should be read in conjunction with the other cautionary statements that are included in the Materials and in the filings. Blackstone undertakes no obligation to publicly update or review any forward‐looking statement, whether as a result of new information, future developments or otherwise.
Third Party Information. Certain information contained in this material has been obtained from sources outside Blackstone, which in certain cases have not been updated through the date hereof. While such information is believed to be reliable for purposes used herein, no representations are made as to the accuracy or completeness thereof and none of Blackstone, its funds, nor any of their affiliates takes any responsibility for, and has not independently verified, any such information.
Trends. There can be no assurances that any of the trends described herein will continue or will not reverse. Past events and trends do not imply, predict or guarantee, and are not necessarily indicative of, future events or results.